Saturday, March 6, 2010

Crackled Flourishes

So I decided to make this tutorial based on the fact that I was working with the sketch form My Little Scrap Blook, and it called for a flourish or a decorative accent, and I could not come to find anything in my stash, that I wanted to use for the flourish. So I used my trusty old SCAL program and Cricut and cut out a flourish. I placed it on the paper and to me it looked boring and needed something else. So this is how I came up with the idea of making Crackled Fourishes. All I did was the following......

I gathered the following:
  • cut out flourish
  • Distressing ink
  • Crackle paint
For the different types of other decorative flourishes you need (You will see these at the end of the tutorial):
  • Glossy Accents
  • Puffy Paint
  • Glitter
First, if you want there to be a distressed look to your flourish you will need to distress your edges to your liking. I use Tim Holtz distressing ink and his applicator (make up sponges work too)
Second, you are going to apply the crackle accents all over the flourish. Make sure you get to the edges, or pieces will break off.

Third, you let it dry this will take sometime depending on how much of the crackle accents you put on. After it has dried you will see it start to crack, you can crack it more by moving the paper around as well.

Fourth, apply it to your project for a great added accent.......

This is my finished project using this technique.
These are some other versions of this technique that I made when fooling around that I wanted to show as well.

This flourish was made with Glossy Accents and then sprinkled randomly with glitter to add a little more of an accent and sparkle.

This flourish was cut out on a colored piece of purple card stock and then just had glossy accents applied to give it a little shine and thickness.


This flourish was made using puffy paint and then a piece of paper was blotted on it to add texture to it.


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.....Krystal



No comments:

Post a Comment